JMeter, improving performance of a Plone web site

Last week i have made a rush to improve performance of a Plone based web site. For performance testing i have used JMeter, because i have seen Using open source tools for performance testing

JMeter is really nice to use. Just launch it’s proxy, plug your browser on it, and do your test. Next you save it as xml and you can edit the test. So you can login (it support cookies) you can create content (with an once logic controller) consult content, and stress your server.

What i have learn from this about Plone is:

  • Do not use brains or any object in templates, or you will not beeing able to cache your logic code in ramcache. Use dict that contains every strings ready to be displayed in the templates.
  • How to use the ram cache
  • i can store acl_users in ramcache, and i have been surprised to see the difference. On 5 tabs hitted, i have hit the cache 278 times …
  • Archetypes is damly slow (about one second to set some attributes of an object in a btree and reindexIt)
  • CMFPlone.utils.createObjectByType do a reindexObject
  • Do not add any index to the portal_catalog, use the buinding done by archetype_tool to be able to use other index. I m adding about one catalog tool per custom content type.
  • A query on the portal_catalog can take one second if you have for example a list of 100 paths (query[‘path’] = [‘/first/path’, ‘/second/path’] and more than 100 000 entries.

I have learn many other things during the last week, but now i m using stress tests during the dev

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: